University of Minnesota Extension
Menu Menu

Extension > Live Healthy, Live Well > Get Help Paying Your Heating Bills

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Get Help Paying Your Heating Bills

By Jose Lamas, Community Program Associate

Are you having trouble paying your heating bills? If so, there is a program in Minnesota that can help. It is called the Energy Assistance Program (EAP). Eligibility is based on household income.

Applications are accepted between October 1 and May 31, with a new application issued each September. It is best to apply early because funds may be limited, and you should apply for help before you get a past-due bill or run out of fuel.

Local groups, called community action councils or similar names, as well as American Indian tribal governments, act as EAP providers in Minnesota.

Take the following steps to apply for EAP assistance for the 2015-2016 heating season:
  1. View the EAP website’s eligibility guidelines to see if your household qualifies for help.
  2. Call 1-800-657-3710 to ask your local EAP provider to send you an application, or download an application from the EAP website. Application forms in English and Spanish will be available for the 2015-2016 heating season starting in September.
  3. Complete the application form and mail it to your local EAP provider. All information you give is kept private. You can find the address and phone number of your local EAP provider (by county or tribal government) on the EAP website.
For more information about the Energy Assistance Program in Minnesota, visit the Bridge to Benefits website.

No comments:

  • © Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
  • The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy