With fall upon us, here are some tips for keeping you and your family safe from fire at home.
Electrical Fire Safety
- Plug only one heat-producing appliance (like a coffee maker or toaster oven) into a wall outlet at a time.
- Never use extension cords with heating or air conditioning equipment.
- Do not use damaged electrical cords or power overload outlets.
- Turn off and unplug space heaters when you leave the room or go to bed.
General Fire Safety
- Make sure that items that could catch fire — such as wood, paper, cloth, rubber, trash, and plastics — are not too close to heating registers, space heaters, stoves, or fireplaces.
- Avoid smoking in bed or near furniture that can catch on fire easily. Make sure cigarettes and ashes are completely out.
- Do not let children play with matches or lighters.
- Remind your children regularly about the dangers of fire.
- Place fire extinguishers for every level of your home and install smoke alarms.
For more information, visit the following websites:
- Electrical Fire Safety — U.S. Fire Administration
- Fire Safety Checklist for Homeowners and Renters — U.S. Fire Administration
- Keep Your Home Warm and Safe During the Winter — University of Minnesota Extension